I received an awesome question from a reader who asked if she could use food choices to help balance out her chakras.
Yes! There are definitely foods that enhance and help balance particular chakras.
But first, do you want to know what chakras might need some balancing?
I’ve created a fun Chakra Assessment Quiz for you to take to help identify any chakra imbalances you might be experiencing… click here to print it out and take it:
Now that you know what chakras you’d like to focus on, here is a simple food list that can help you eat your way towards realignment:
1. Root Chakra:
Pay attention to earthy foods like peanuts, or vegetables that grow deep within the ground… and hot, spicy flavors.
- Root vegetables: carrots, potatoes, beets, onions, garlic, etc.
- Hot Spices: horseradish, paprika, cayenne, pepper, and other spices
2. Sacral Chakra:
Pay attention to food textures and sensual foods… creativity with your cooking… warm foods, nurturing foods, soups, casseroles, tea
- Sweets: melons, mangos, strawberries, blueberries, citrus fruits, etc…
- Warming Spices: cinnamon and vanilla in particular! Sweet mints as well such as spearmint…
3. Solar plexus:
It’s important to stimulate the digestive process as much as possible for folks wanting to balance the solar plexus… recent medical studies show that drinking water is the most important way to stimulate digestion, as well as exercise — walking and stretching/yoga daily is a great idea to support your solar plexus!
- Granola and Whole Grains/Fiber: whole wheat pastas, breads, flax seed, sunflower seeds, nuts, prunes, etc.
- Protein: nuts, grass fed beef, fish, free range organic chicken
- Probiotics: Yogurt, kombucha, probiotic supplements
4. Heart Chakra:
Pay attention to HOW you are cooking your food… the intention of the food is much more important than the food itself for this chakra!
- Green Vegetables: spinach, kale, dandelion greens, broccoli, cabbage, celery, etc.
- Liquids: tea, kombucha, hot chocolate
- Dark Chocolate! YAY!
- Red Wine in moderation
5. Throat Chakra:
Pay attention to breathing while you eat, instead of wolfing your food down. Stop and savor each bite and take nice long breaths throughout your meal.
- Light drinks: water, fruit juices, herbal teas, spritzers
- Refreshing fruits: lemons, limes, grapefruit, kiwi, apples, pears, plums, peaches, apricots, etc…
- Spices: lemon grass, tarragon, mint
6. Third Eye:
Pay attention to eating foods that support brain function — this means plenty of healthy fats and protein. For more ideas read my brain boosting foods article here!
- Healthy Fats: coconut oil, olive oil, organic butter, organic whole milk, greek yogurt
- Protein: nuts, organic eggs, grass fed organic beef
- Liquids: red wines, grape juice
7. Crown Chakra:
Pay attention to how a food makes you feel more than which food it is. In fact, the crown chakra often doesn’t need food for support and often craves skipping a meal or even a short fasting period — respect this when your body is telling you it wants to fast. Consider a nice detox by drinking hot lemon water or a TBSP of apple cider vinegar every morning when you wake up.
- Air: fasting and detoxing support this chakra more than food does
- Incense and Smudging Your Living Space
Want more great food/diet ideas to support your body in a holistic way?
Here are some of my favorite blog posts (on the topic of food choices) from the past few years:
- Top cardiologist Dr. Sinatra talks about how sugar… not fat… is the root cause of cardiovascular disease
- How food choices naturally evolve as we age and why we crave fat in our diet…
- Earthing to reduce weight effortlessly
- Chakras and food: You are (how you feel about) what you eat!
- The only diet I’ll ever go on: The Joy Diet
- The biggest secret about weight: the shocking results of a HUGE study (almost 3 million people) that nobody is talking about!