I’ve blogged before about how important Omega 3 fatty acids are for your brain, increasing brain volume and protecting against dementia…
… and I’ve touched on how Omega 3 fatty acids are super hearth healthy after speaking with cardiologist Dr. Sinatra about holistic heart therapies…
… but now there is more proof than ever that if you want to protect your longevity, make sure that consuming omega 3 fatty acids is part of your plan.
A new study, published on June 25, 2016 in JAMA Internal Medicine, shows that higher levels of Omega 3 fatty acids lowered the risk of having a fatal heart attack within 10 years.
- Researchers looked at 19 different international cohorts of middle aged and elderly participants with no prior history of heart disease.
- The data includes over 45,000 participants in 16 different countries: Australia, Costa Rica, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Norway, Russia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, and the United States
- Participants were both men and women (63% male, 37% female) and ages 18 to 97 (average age 59) with no prior history of heart attack, angina, coronary revascularization, or stroke.
- Participants had serial blood tests to determine their Omega 3 fatty acid concentrations in the blood, and were followed throughout a 10-year period. During this follow up period there were 7157 nonfatal heart attacks and 2781 fatal cardiac events.
- All four forms of Omega 3 fatty acids lowered the risk of dying from a cardiac event by about 10% independently.
- The results were shown to be dose dependent, meaning that every standard-deviation increase in levels of DPA, EPA, DHA and ALA (all Omega 3 fatty acids) lowered the risk of a death from a heart attack in a dose dependent fashion.
- These findings compliment earlier studies that show that Omega 3 fatty acids stabilize heart membranes and reduce the risk of ventricular fibrillation.
The bottom line?
Omega 3 fatty acids significantly reduce your risk
of dying from a fatal heart attack.
Try to include lots of dietary Omega 3 fatty acid sources in your diet… from a wide range of fatty fishes, nuts, and healthy oils, such as salmon, trout, sardines, walnuts, flaxseed, olive oil and coconut oils.
The American Heart Association currently recommends 2 to 3 servings of fatty fish a week.
If fatty fish isn’t your thing, I recommend supplementing with a high quality Omega 3 fatty acid supplement.
And Nortic Naturals Gummy Worms for a fun Omega treat for children!
Although taking an Omega 3 fatty acid supplement is a great idea for so many reasons (supporting a healthy skin barrier, healthy neurology, healthy heart and more!) what is the energetic message behind one of the most fascinating organs in our body?
It’s not just enough to pop a few supplements and hope our heart keeps ticking.
It’s really a beautiful thing to appreciate how divinely in concert our heart’s design and structure is to its function.
Our heart is not just a muscle that pushes blood through our body…
…it’s a complicated, dynamic, energetic masterpiece.
We all can feel the impressive pounding of our hearts when we are filled with love, or overcome with emotion, or on alert to danger.
We all can appreciate how the energy in our heart can fill us with motivation to climb the highest mountains , inspire us to act and respond to life changing situations, or to feel the intense stab of pain when heartache comes our way.
And because the heart is so complex and intertwined with our emotional health and spiritual well being, we can enhance the longevity of our heart from so many angles too… medically, spiritually, energetically, and emotionally.
Hop over to this article I wrote that covers heart health from every single angle.
In it I’ll give you a very simple exercise you can do to really feel the full expansion of your heart’s inner Well Being!
Meanwhile, what else can you do to protect your heart health?
6. Want to take some heart healthy supplements?
My top 3 favorites are: