A new study, published in JAMA Pediatrics in September 2019, found that higher levels of blood inflammatory markers was linked to a higher risk of early death.
This was an impressively huge study that followed patients for a four decade span of time, so the results are particularly trust worthy and notable.
Scientists followed over 100,000 young adults for decades — 35 years — and found that the higher their ESR levels in childhood (Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate = a blood test that measures the levels of inflammation in the body) the higher their mortality rate was decades later.
- Looking at high ESR in young adulthood (18 – 20 years old) vs. low ESR, the scientists found that higher ESR levels resulted in a significant increase in over all mortality rates — death from all causes — which increased by 36%.
- That means the patients with high ESR levels had more than 1/3rd increased risk of death for any reason.
- Researchers further found that the risk of death from cancer, even decades later, was almost doubled.
- They also found that the risk of death from heart disease, even decades later, was almost tripled.
- All in all, this study shows that early-life inflammation = worse later-life health outcomes, resulting in a decreased life span.
Early-life inflammation = decreased life span.
From this study, scientists feel that it is now possible to detect risk of premature death very early on in life — as early as late childhood — through evaluation of body inflammatory levels.
This study reminded me of another study on whole body inflammation that I blogged about for you almost two years ago — a study on sepsis. This is timely to review right now, on the heels of last week’s article I wrote for you about death from coronavirus infection.
Sepsis is an overwhelming infection of the body which triggers widespread inflammation that carries a very high death rate (and yes, sepsis dramatically increases ESR levels too.)
Sepisis is one of the leading causes of hospital deaths, even when treated with the most advanced intravenous antibiotics and life support… yet physicians have discovered a super simple, super easy vitamin combo that can dramatically cut the mortality rate from sepsis, from 40% down to only 9%… saving lives when even IV antibiotics can’t.
This study (published in Chest in June 2017) has shown that a simple vitamin cocktail can reduce the rate of death down to less than 1/4th the original death rate, just from adding on a simple vitamin + steroid combo.
This is big news. Life saving news.
Sepsis is a very alarming and expensive emergency condition — the overwhelming infection and inflammation can quickly lead to blood clots, organ failure and death.
Treating sepsis is hard and often fails, with roughly half of patients dying despite immediate antibiotics, fluids and continuous ICU monitoring for organ failure.
As you can imagine, this type of intervention is expensive, costing the United States alone about $24 billion dollars a year to treat which still resulting in up to a 40 – 60% death rate.
So the news that adding a few vitamins and a steroid into the treatment plan can save the lives of an additional 3/4ths of patients, with only a negligible increase in cost, is astounding news.
This shocking and amazing result has researchers all over the world testing out this vitamin cocktail in many other, inflammatory related acute conditions.
What is this incredible concoction?
- Vitamin C
- Vit B1
…and that’s it! This simple combo has the potential to save billions of dollars and millions of lives, with very little downside, very little risk.
Vitamin C and B1 both have an incredible safety profile, and both are easily available for at home use.
- Vitamin C helps lower inflammation, decrease oxidative stress and stabilize blood pressure, and help stabilize blood flow to tissues, which is possibly what is helping to prevent organ failure.
- Vitamin B1 has been previously shown to help reduce kidney failure in septic patients, and is essential for proper mitochondrial function.
- The steroid is something that I feel we can improve upon at home, because steroids themselves actually lower our immune response short term and long term have yucky side effects like thinner bones, increased risk of infections, weight gain, mood disorders, muscle weakness and even cataracts.
In a life and death situation, steroids make sense, as they rapidly decrease the body’s inflammatory response. But although they are great at decreasing inflammation (the reason they were added to this vitamin cocktail) they do not treat the root cause and they have nasty long term side effects.
So for at home use, there are some fantastic holistic substitutes for steroids that you can add to make your own anti-inflammatory, healing combo at home. My favorite two supplements that can substitute in for the Rx steroid are serrapeptase and turmeric.
- Serrapetase is a fantastic enzyme that our body uses to fight inflammation, decrease excessive mucous production and even reverse scar tissue formation.
- Turmeric is probably one of the worlds best and most studied anti-inflammatory supplements, the active ingredient (curcumin) has been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties that are so powerful, it helps prevent and treat arthritis, dementia, and even some cancers! Turmeric has been shown to be effective even in deadly, treatment resistant cancers such as melanoma and advanced prostate cancer. So it definitely makes sense to me to add this in to a vitamin cocktail aimed at helping save lives under difficult conditions!
It may take a while for the conventional medical paradigm to go as far as to try replacing the traditional steroid with an all natural supplement, so for now, I’m excited that they are willing to further test the Vit C, B1, and hydrocortisone combo at all.
In fact, I truly hope they expand their treatment trials to see if this combination can help in other acute and chronic overwhelming infections that are hard to treat, conditions like meningitis, candida, shingles, Lyme, even HIV.
I also hope that researchers couple these results with the ESR study I mention at the beginning of this article, to see if young adults with high ESR levels can have their lifespan protected by being given this powerfully anti-inflammatory, life saving vitamin combo.
And as I blogged about just last week, I hope that physicians and researchers
are testing Vitamin C cocktails like this one for their potential to
save lives in deadly coronavirus cases.
For more ideas on how to decrease your chance of contracting sepsis from coronavirus and other viral illnesses, read the full article I wrote for you here.
In it, I recommended everyone go on high dose Vit C during the cold and flu season, as well as during any viral outbreaks such as with the coronavirus.
So now, if you’d like to replicate the entire vitamin cocktail studied in this sepsis analysis, here’s what you’ll want:
So now you know.
You can fight inflammation at home with:
Vitamin C, Vitamin B1, Serrapeptase and Curcumin
1. Vitamin C (buffered Vit C is best.) My favorite is Buffered Vitamin C by Integrative Theraputics.
2. Vitamin B1 (aka thiamine.) My favorite is Thiamine by Seeking Health.
3. Serrapeptase (enteric coated is best.) My favorite is Enteric Coated Serrapeptase by Source Naturals.
4. Turmeric (curcumin + bioperin is best!). My favorite is Curcumin 500 + Bioperin by Pure Encapsulations.
I have every single one of these supplements available to you in my online dispensary right here, at a nice discount just because you are a reader of mine!
I’ve put them all in my online catalog under the “anti-inflammatory” category:
What else can you do to decrease whole body inflammation?
On top of this vitamin combo, simply touching the earth, through the healing practice of grounding, will decrease your whole body inflammation and bring blood inflammatory markers of inflammation down naturally.
This powerful, natural effect is the mechanism of action behind the earth’s ability to elevate mood, boost energy, deepen sleep, support organ function and brighten health.
Know the feeling of spending a morning in your garden or an afternoon walking along the beach and how calm, centered, and supported you feel?
Grounding your body is at work here, decreasing your whole body inflammation, decreasing the stress hormones (like cortisol) in your bloodstream and decreasing blood inflammatory markers (like C-reactive protein and Creatinine Kinase) as it completely naturally reduces inflammation in your body… no drugs necessary!
on the power of grounding to reduce inflammation.
There’s no better way to naturally prevent inflammation in the first place than through the powerful healing practice of grounding. You can even ground indoors through the use of high quality grounding tools like these.
I would consider grounding as preventive care for thwarting many of our inflammatory related illnesses, and adding on this potent vitamin C cocktail for treatment of minor or chronic inflammatory conditions that have already been evaluated by a physician.
And of course — as always — seek immediate medical care for acute or worsening conditions.
So all in all, here is my Anti-Inflammatory Rx for you:
You absolutely can keep your whole body inflammation as low as possible, for an entire lifetime.
Please share this potentially life saving vitamin combo recipe with anyone you know who is battling conditions that involve acute or chronic inflammation, and consider going outside today (and every day!) to touch the earth to help prevent them in the first place.
To your naturally resilient healing ability!