Tomorrow is Valentine’s Day, so today’s medical study reveals a simple tip for boosting libido!
New research (presented at the 29th European College of Neuropsychopharmacology Congress on September 19, 2016) shows that the same light therapy recommendation to treat Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) can significantly improve sexual satisfaction in people with low desire after only 2 weeks of treatment!
While this study was on men, because light therapy is incredibly effective for females too, I truly believe that this would work for women with low sex drive and should be first line therapy for anyone with sexual dysfunction or low sex drive.
- Researchers studied 38 patients with a diagnosis of primary hypoactive sexual desire or sexual arousal disorder.
- Patients were randomly assigned to receive either active light treatment or placebo light treatment.
- Active treatment was a daily 30 minute exposure to a light box with UV filter upon waking each morning.
- Placebo light treatment was the same exposure but with a neutral density filter to reduce the light exposure to .01% strength of the active therapy.
- Patients were assessed clinically at baseline and after 2 weeks of daily AM light exposure, as well as through self assessments and blood samples to test any hormone response to light therapy.
- After only two weeks of light therapy, patients with the active light treatment had hugely significant improvements in sexual satisfaction compared to placebo.
- After just two weeks, sexual satisfaction for active light therapy patients increased more than 3X over baseline (from a rating of 2 out of 10 to 6.7 out of 10)
- Placebo light therapy users had no statistically significant improvement at all (from baseline of 2 out of 10 to 2.7 out of 10)
- In addition, the testosterone levels of the patients receiving active light therapy rose by over 50% in just two weeks (from an average testosterone level of 2.1 ng/mL to an average of 3.6 ng/mL!)
- In contrast, there was no change at all to testosterone levels in the placebo group.
The lightbox is really just
mimicking mother nature.
- In fact, as I recently blogged about here, getting some extra Vitamin D from sun exposure actually boosts fertility — doubling the rate of implantation of an embryo and boosting the pregnancy rate from 20% up to 31%.
- This news is back to back with recent medical studies showing that light therapy is an incredibly effective solution for treating all forms of depression, not just SAD, as I blog about here!
I feel convinced that light therapy should be first line of treatment, before using Rx medications, in the treatment of all forms of depressive disorders and sexual dysfunction.
Light therapy can be used safely in conjunction with medical treatments (including Rx medications) so if you are on an anti-depressant or a drug to treat sexual dysfunction, augment your treatment with light therapy and it’s possible you can work with your physician to decrease the dose!
Why mimic mother nature when you can
just go outside and join her?
As I recently reported to you, exposure to light outdoors actually lengthens life span and is one of the healthiest things you can do each day —
— in fact, did you know that avoiding the sun has been medically proven to actually be more deadly than heavy smoking? It’s true!
And that is not even counting the health benefits if you are actually grounded outside and touching the earth, which is the other healthiest thing you can do!
Want to learn more about that?
This week is the last week to sign up for my Earth Rx Online Healing Class, where I will answer every single thing you’ve ever wanted to know about grounding to the earth outside, and how you can use it to precisely address your specific health issue.
Sign up here and save your seat today!
When you get morning light exposure daily, your pineal gland benefits from exposure to natural light even when that light is cloudy or dim outside.
Make a habit of going out every morning immediately after waking up and grabbing a few minutes of daylight.
Better yet, take a warm cup of tea, hot water with lemon, or your AM coffee and sit on the earth grounded for 30 minutes (or take a nice AM walk!) and you will do more to prevent or treat mood disorders than taking drugs each day.
And now you know!
Light isn’t just for treating the winter blues — it’s our natural rhythm and something our body craves to help us feel our best (and our most romantic!) no matter what the season.
Forward this article to your lover and have a happy happy Valentines Day…